Wednesday, March 27, 2013

March 27 - Pan's 6th grade graduation                                                                                          


An interesting day and a new title for me, Pan's Grandmother.

The school had their 6th grade graduation.  We went over to see Pan get his diploma and an award for something he had done for the school.

They have quite a production for these kids.  A monk, old elder of the town (83), & various school officials are there.

After a few quite long speches then the elder comes and starts the procession of people putting white cords around both of the students wrists for good luck.  I put 2 on Pan.

Then some young girls dance quite a slow Thai dance for them.  These young girls were really painted and dressed up for the occasion.  I think I could have danced with them.


 
After the dance they each ate a hard boiled egg
they had brought from home.  This symbols a new life
a new beginning.
 
They then got back into their formal rows and the principal
gave them a long speech.  Parts must have been funny as there
was a lot of laughing.
Again I felt like I was at the Tower of Babel and got left with
the wrong group.  There were a couple of ladies that spoke
English well so I could talk a little with them.
After the principal was done a group of the teachers sat across room
 in front of the stage  The students came up in groups of about 15 and
stood in front of a teacher.  A parent or grandparent sat in a chair
in front of the student.  I was chosen to be Pan's grandmother.
 
 
The students then turned and knelt in front of the teacher
and was given some words of encouragement from the teacher.
 
 
The teacher then gave the student back to the parent or
grandparent for more words of encouragement and to
take home.
 
 
Pan is such a wondergful young man that I would
like to take him home with me and be his grandmother.
Maybe someday he will come and live with Bert and Batty
and then I will be his grandma.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you are adding to your long list of grandchildren. Glad you are enjoying your time there.

    ReplyDelete